With a heatwave taking hold of most of the country this week, swimming is on our minds. So we thought we’d take a look at how far swimwear has come, from modesty and function, to the symbol of stylish summer fun it is today.
By the Numbers
- Estimated global swimwear industry revenues $13.25 billion
- Women own an average of 4 swimsuits
- 70% of women over the age of 18 prefer a one-piece swimsuit
- 64% of us are buying suits online
- Sports Illustrated published its first swimsuit issue in 1964
- More than 70% of Americans would rather go to the dentist, do their taxes, sit in the middle aisle on an airplane, or visit their in-laws than go swimsuit shopping!