From crafts to renovation, I’m always on the hunt for fun, inexpensive, and eco-friendly DIY projects that yield great results. My latest project search was motivated by two factors – I’m a total candle junky but I hate spending mucho dinero to support my habit. Have you seen the price of “healthy” candles – 100% beeswax and cotton wick ($25 and up) – or luxury bougie parfume candles like Jo Malone (up to $450)? Talk about burning money…
Friends, a beautiful and all natural candle that will burn for 6 hours is yours for the making, and for under 2 dollars. All you need is an ordinary orange and some olive oil!
Here’s how to make your own luxury candle with a little DIY zest:
- Find a medium to large thick peel orange and slice it around the center circumference, cutting only through the peel.
- Separate the whole orange flesh from the peel by gently sliding your fingers down between the peel and the flesh, turning the orange as you go to liberate the flesh.
- Carefully pull off each peel half, leaving the central column still attached on one half (that thin pulpy center strand) – this “stem” will act as the wick. Set aside the whole orange flesh to eat later.
- Pour an inexpensive olive oil over the wick until it fills the peel about halfway.
- Cut an opening on the other peel half to create a windshield lid. You can cut the opening in a fun shape like a heart or star…
- Put the candle on a heat and oil safe surface (after a few hours a bit of orange oil residue may occur under it).
- Light the wick – it will take several seconds for it to catch.
- Enjoy the orange glow and the gentle orange scent…
PS – And I know this goes without saying, but just remember to never leave a burning candle unattended.
Got A DIY Question? Ask-The-Expert!
If you have a DIY home repair, maintenance or improvement question for Norma, now is your chance to ask-the-expert and have her answer. Your burning question may just be the “star” of an upcoming Fix-It Friday column.
Add your question to the comments section below or email it to Women You Should Know.
Fix-It Friday is an exclusive Women You Should Know® editorial series authored by seasoned veteran of home improvement, Norma Vally, the former host of Discovery Home Channel’s series “Toolbelt Diva” and a show on Sirius Satellite Radio by the same name. The weekly column is designed to inspire women – weekend warriors, aspiring handywomen, and even seasoned DIYers – to take on home repairs and maintenance projects with confidence and gusto.